James, the half-brother of Jesus reminds us that Elijah was "just like us!" Imagine, Elijah, the prophet, "just like us!" He had his ups and downs but God used him. He can use you, too.
Interested in developing a lifestyle that is peaceful and fulfilled? Here are ten steps that are certain to make a difference:
- Let God direct your course. This was the motto of Oswald Chambers, author of My Utmost for His Highest. Don't make God your co-pilot. Instead, let Him take over the controls of your life.
- Simplify. You don't have to have the latest electronic toys. Clean out the closet and garage, delete your unwanted e-mails, and throw away the pile of magazines you will never read.
- Pull the plug on distractions. It's a noisy world out there. Turn off the phone for dinner or try leaving the TV unplugged for 24 hours.
- Turn your assets over to God. If you really believe what you have is a gift from God, sign it over to Him and ask Him how you can use it wisely.
- Get out of yourself. Count the number of times you say, "I", "me", or "my" in a conversation. Then stop talking and start listening.
- Touch someone's life. Take a missions trip. Volunteer at an orphanage. Visit a convalescent home. Write a check for a charity. Take a meal to a sick neighbor. Do something to make a difference in our world.
- Don't sweat the small stuff. Remember, it's all small stuff. Trust and don't worry, just for today.
- Give up anger and thoughts of revenge. They are killers. God's big enough to handle the person who wronged you.
- Use time wisely since that's the stuff life is made of, and refuse to let it be your master. Remember you don't "find" time; you take time.
- Ask God make you a peacemaker. Jesus pronounced a special blessing on those who make peace. Forgive quickly. Refuse to gunnysack grievances and live a day at a time.
All rights reserved.